What qualifications should I expect from my groomer?

The Pet Care Trade Association and the British Dog Groomers' Association have developed a variety of courses for groomers at every level. Some of these are nationally accredited courses run in conjunction with City & Guilds/NPTC.

Post November 2009 qualifications are:

City & Guilds/NPTC Level 2 Certificate for Dog Grooming Assistants - aimed at people coming into the industry who have no prior knowledge or experience of grooming.

City & Guilds/NPTC Level 3 Certificate in Introductory Dog Grooming - the first step towards towards a career in professional dog grooming and styling. Its examination consists of a short answer written paper, and practical elements to test clipping skills on one dog.

City & Guilds/NPTC Level 3 Diploma in Professional Dog Grooming - this demonstrates an ability to trim and style a range of dogs, using various techniques including hand-stripping. It proves that you have been trained correctly to a professional level and should give customers confidence that you are competent to groom their dogs. Generally candidates should have at least 18 months' grooming experience.


Similar pre-November 2009 qualifications:

City & Guilds/NPTC Intermediate Certificate in Dog Grooming - a qualification that looks at the working environment, preparing dogs for bathing, and bathing and drying dogs ready for grooming.

City & Guilds/NPTC Advanced Dog Grooming Certificate - the qualification consists of a written and practical examinations on a range of dogs and coat types. It proves to future employers that you have been correctly trained and gives clients confidence in your abilities.


Above these are:

The British Dog Groomers' Association's Higher Diploma in Dog Grooming, an advanced test to show the expertise and skill required from the experienced groomer in a commercial environment. Also the recently launched Licentiateship in Dog Grooming (LCGI) is available to those groomers who generally have five years' vocational experience, a career extension qualification and at least two units of the Higher Diploma.